Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Oh my darling lemon pie.

Mondegreen: n.  A form of error arising from mishearing a spoken or sung phrase; A misunderstanding of a written or spoken phrase as a result of multiple definitions


I don’t know about you, but I manage to mishear / misinterpret lyrics ALL the time.


Examples of my past personal hearing failures:

1.  Do the lucky lady.
Actual lyric: Dude looks like a lady.
I actually prefer my lyrical rendition of this popular Aerosmith line.


2.  Hold me closer, Tony Danza
Count the head lice on the highway.

Actual lyric: Hold me closer, tiny dancer.
Sorry Elton John- it was an honest mistake at the ripe age of seven!


And finally,
Number 3.


When it’s cold outside,  I’ve got the wonder gay. 
Actual lyric: When it's cold outside,I've got the month of May.


Quite honestly, I don't know what the hell i was thinking/singing.. although, I do believe a hairbrush, a mirror, and maybe, just maybe my older sister's stolen bright red lipstick were involved. 


 You would think I was dropped on my head as a child, perhaps even several times.  But no, at the age of eleven I STILL thought I had that Temptations line right.. until the movie (My Girl) came out and I realized what a fool I was.


So, next time you screw up a karaoke line at the local bar, blame it on the tequila.  Or the fact that you heard a mondegreen.  Either way, these are totally legitimate excuses.. and really, you're not the only one.



1 comment:

  1. Ya - definitely thought Bon Jovi "It doesn't make a difference if we're naked or not". For a loooong time.

    ReplyDelete