Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

meloncholy morning

This morning I woke up wishing I could remember my dream last night. I know it was incredibly vivid, and something terribly sad ocurred. The kind of dream that made me want to mourn over losing someone dear to me. I don't know who it was or what happened. I'm not sure if this is fortunate or not.

It's a slightly meloncholy morning. the sky is grey, and I'm moving rather slowly to the rhythmic sounds of Scriabin's Preludes. The room is quiet and empty, but well lived in. slightly messy, slightly cluttered, but pieces of personality splashed on the walls in black and white sections and some in color.  The calm before the storm involving classes and children desperately seeking my attention.

There are a lot of things I miss right now from my home- my original home. I miss my mother (despite what I might say otherwise). I miss my sister's conversational advice from years ago. I miss the way my niece was so completely attached to me- called me nanny (because Annie is was apparently too difficult a word for a toddler) but wouldn't say anyone else's name, no matter how much they attempted to get her to repeat it.

I miss playing my piano at home at one o'clock in the morning.
I miss the beach. I miss driving alone with the Beatles.
I miss late nights at local diners and their bottomless cups of coffee to accompany the book I happened to be reading.
I miss my grandma's soup. She made a different kind almost every day. I miss seeing my grandpa's finished and unfinished crossword puzzles all over the house.

I miss the friendship i had for fifteen years, then watched it slowly drift away with time and distance.
And then I began thinking about the beginnings of new friendship.  The kind that breaks down barriers somewhere between casual conversation and the sudden realization of being on the same intellectual plane. 

It's funny how relationships begin and end. They are easily created every day.. But my question is..
Can they be recreated? is it really possible to let go for awhile..
and then begin again? can we wipe the slate clean?
I wish I knew. time will tell, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment