Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Take Me Home, Country Roads

Apparently, everyone in the blogging world has decided to write exclusively on the subject of Valentines – personal, joking, romantic, cynical, or otherwise. 

Me? I celebrated early by booking a trip to a resort in the middleofnowhere, West Virginia.  While driving through the winding hills, inevitably created to make sensitive girls like me carsick, I couldn’t help but involuntarily replay the song “Take Me Home, Country Roads” over and over in my head.  100 miles deep into the wilderness, I finally arrived at an unfamiliar resort complete with pub, restaurants, spas, and miscellaneous (mostly sporty, so I wouldn’t participate) activities. 

What should I do with my weekend?  Spend most of it reading, Jacuzzi-ing, drinking, and spa-ing, of course.  What else does a Jersey girl do in the wilderness? 

It was absolutely refreshing and invigorating…. For the first 24 hours.  I rapidly became obsessed with the absolute need to locate a CVS, a Trader Joes, or a bar other than the one named “Hillbilly Heaven”, anything indicating civilization and sanity. Alas, 24 hours to go and I was already losing my mind!  No problem- I simply jumped in the car and drove around the ENTIRE vicinity (i.e. 50 mile radius) of the resort.  Small towns are few and far between, but I did find this little hiking path.


 No sign of city life, of course, but I did manage to locate George and Martha Washington’s original spa in Berkeley Springs. 




How odd.. and random.

Lesson learned- I probably won’t be returning to West Virginia anytime soon, but it was a nice break from reality.

Imagine my relief in returning to Alexandria with 70 degree weather on Valentines Day!  I immediately proceeded to read on my 17th floor rooftop with a glass of wine, enjoying city life sunshine. 

And oh yes, I was perfectly content to order takeout on Valentines Day. 

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment