Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

I'm just a Basketcase.

I've just begun teaching with a different school.  One slightly closer to home, high achieving, supported by administration (which is rare), and has not had music for ten years.  I've got quite the job on my hands.

I have to admit it.  As a teacher in Maryland, I've most definitely lost it.  I've lost it during breaks, after school, and worst of all- in the classroom.  Today was one of those very rare occasions.  I don't mean that I broke down and cried-  I just don't do that.  But I did lose my temper. 

Children like to test their teachers- especially young(ish) teachers.  Beginning my fourth year as a music teacher in a rough area, this is not news to me.  I run a tight ship.  I keep classes organized, running smoothly, and I do not tolerate children hell bent on negativity.  One of these particular children decided to test my toleration.  

Perhaps I should have taken him aside more often.  I've done this many times before, in warning.  These warnings were ignored.  So when the final test came upon me,  the temper seized me.  It's no wonder some children think I'm scary- and yet most of these children absolutely adore me? It astounds me.  They see the temper, and yet hug me ceaselessly and thank me for teaching them music. 

The fierce love for me is astonishing.  And the fact that despite certain brats, most children discover a way to love and learn in my class.   I continue to discover ways around these obstacles, move on, and continue my lessons. 

This is why I teach.  I suppose not everyone has a job so rewarding, and for this I am thankful.

But oh, do I love the weekend.  When I can finally sit back, relax, and pretend that I have all the patience in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment